Friday, July 20, 2012

Save our oceans

Hi guys and girls who read my blog. Today I will write something completely out of context of miniatures or our hobby. I will write something about protecting our oceans and the wildlife within. As I am a scuba diver and therefore very interested in everything related to nature (not only our oceans) it is a deep urge to protect our environment where I can.

Save our oceans


Perhaps you know some big foundations like Greenpeace, Robin Wood or World Wide Fund For Nature. Most know at least one them. But do you know that there are many many other organisations who fight for special kinds of animals or plants or even green energy? Some of them I had the chance to get in contact with (by mail or even personally) and would like to sare them with you:

Sharkproject:

Sharkproject
Ever since this damn movie Jaws caused panic in many swimmers in divers, sharks are seen as the devils of the sea. But they aren't! They fulfill a very important role at riffs and open sea, like wolves in the woods: They hunt the old and ill ad keep the stocks healthy and in bound. In fact they are no brainless killers, and even if every year there are some shark accidents reported, it is more likely to be killed by a coconut than by a shark. While snorkeling I even had the lucky chance to see some baby sharks only some meters away. I hope I will see one on one of my scuba dives in the future.
Sharkprojekt tries to clarify the myths about sharks and try to sensibilize for the very very bad practice of shark finning. A crucial method of hunting sharks, cutting the fins of and throwing the living(!) sharks to die in the sea.

Sea Shepherd:

Sea Shepherd
Modern Pirates who fight against the japanese whale catchers with sometimes doubtful methods. But they live up for their beliefs and fight for them. In my opinion they are a crazy bunch of people but I am very grateful that someone takes up the fight to protect our gentle giants who cannot defend themselves. It is a shame that noone else tries to do something (in acting) against the illegal whale hunting. I know that many organisations are trying to do something on the round table. But how can it be, that it is even possible today that quotas are raised instead of being completley forbidden?!
On their journeys they often reveal other crimes on nature, e.g. shark finning or dolphin hunts and many more and are often accused for crimes they may or may not have done (I am no judge).

Archelon:

Archelon
The Sea Turtle Protection Society of Greece tries to protect the sea turtles and their habitats in Greece. Ever wondered what these blue metal pistons on the beach means? They are protective cages for Sea turtles nests. On one of our vacations on Crete we came in contact with some of the volunteers of this organization. Since many many turtles die because of the unbelievable amounts of trash in our seas (there is a complete garbage continent floating on our oceans), these guys and girls do an important job to protect the nests and monitor and research the habitats and the movement of sea turtles.


There are many many more, too many to list them all up. I hope this didn't bore you, but after watching some documentations lately I had again my rage timer ignited...

So long,
Paradox0n

2 comments:

  1. Mmm good post mate.. know the Sea Shepard from their Whale Wars shows on discovery. Always trying to stick with it, and agreed that it is not great what poachers and others are doing.

    Don't come to Turkey, or specifically Istanbul Ferry section. You would cry, then Hulk-rage out on people walking past. I cannot think about swimming in the oceans around here. Period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its not that I'm against eating meat or fish or have problems with animals getting butchered. I grew up in a rather small village, 2 crofts near me so I know how our beloved steaks or sausages are made. And if you ever have been to a soukh...
      My problems are with the unnecessary and brutal slauhtering of (wild & protected!) animals near to extinction and with the mindless raping of our mother earth.
      Therefore I try to get my fish from MSC certified traders and my meat from a local dealer. Small things, but if everyone thinks this way it would clearly help.

      Delete

If you liked this article, please leave a comment. If you even want to support this blog, deactive your adblocker and click on one of the banners. Everything will be refunded for new reviews or tutorials. Thanks!

Related Posts