Tuesday, June 19, 2012

HowTo: Building a tower - Part 2

Ok, after showing you how I build the foundation for my tower, now it's time to paint the stone carvings. This will be only a short part, because I think I can't show you some wicked magic here, it's just good old handywork.

After the core was build together I primed everything black. At this stage I didn't have my airbrush yet so I was forced to do everything by hand.I used some cheap black color from the hardware store to cut down the expenses. After three layers everything was completely black. The three coates of paint had one side effect I noticed when everything was dry: The carving was much more stable than before.

Primed everything black

After that, I drybrushed the whole thing many times, every time giving some more white into the black. I think you could do this in three or four steps but I didn't know how the paint will darken when dry, therefore I tried until I was satisfied with the result. In the end I think I used eight layers. Again every layer made the carving more stable.

Drybrushed stonework
Special care was taken of the door. As mentioned in the first part, I carefully cut the door out and kept it at a safe place. Now its time has come :) Again I primed it black and then drybrushed it carefully until the wooden grain came out nicely. Then I glued the door into the empty doorframe.

Finished door

That was it! No magic happening here, just some painting and paint mixing. But the tower is still missing something. Right! There is no roof for it. But this will be something for the next part of the series.

Hope you enjoyed it so far.

So long,
Paradox0n


P.S: As with my gaming board series I attach the links to all parts of the HowTo: Build a tower series on each part if you missed one:
HowTo: Building a tower - Part 1
HowTo: Building a tower - Part 2
HowTo: Building a tower - Part 3
HowTo: Building a tower - Part 4

4 comments:

  1. Nice work here mate.. it is coming along nicely now..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.
      Progress is slower now, because I have to work more again. My team hoped that work will be "slower" now, but as live goes it's even more chaotic than before.

      Delete
  2. The tower looks really good. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Next part will be about building the upper part of the tower.

      Delete

If you liked this article, please leave a comment. If you even want to support this blog, deactive your adblocker and click on one of the banners. Everything will be refunded for new reviews or tutorials. Thanks!

Related Posts